Gummy forms of nutritional supplements are particularly popular for children’s multivitamins where other formats may not be tolerated. Vitamin gummies colored naturally with Coloring Foods are ideal for children where color is important to ensure acceptance.
- The addition of vitamins and minerals can affect the color of the base and how it changes over time. Higher color dosages may be required to offset potential browning or yellowing during shelf life.
- Use a starting color dosage level between 0.1% w/w – 0.5% w/w
- For best results, pH of the mass should be <3.0 for red, purple, and pink shades
- For vitamin gummies, consider ascorbic acid content when formulating with anthocyanin-based colors
- For carotenoid-containing colors it is recommended to include ascorbic acid (as an antioxidant to support performance)
- Avoid excessive processing and hold times, and add the color as late as possible in production
- When working with blues, violets and greens, avoid direct contact with acids. For best results using these shades, the temperature of the mass should be maintained at <80°C for the shortest time possible.
- For optimal stability, we recommend dosages greater than 0.1% w/w