Color is vital in processed cheese products to deliver a finished product that consumers recognize. Fat content and processing are the main points to consider when selecting colors for cheese.
- Use a starting color dosage level between 0.30% w/w – 0.80% w/w
- Carotenoid-containing colors may shift from orange to a yellow-hue in the presence of fat, heat, and shear
- For carotenoid-containing colors it is recommended to include an antioxidant to support performance
- Note the order of ingredient addition and add colors during final stage of production
- Avoid excessive processing
- Rapid cooling reduces color loss
- Stability is good at appropriate dosage levels