Milk Drinks & Dairy Free Alternatives
When coloring flavored milks or plant-based alternatives, pH and thermal processing are the main considerations. The color possibilities in short shelf life dairy beverages are better than those that undergo UHT processing.
- Use a starting color dosage level between 0.1%-2.0% w/w
- Anthocyanins will have a more purple-hue at pH > 4.5. Select raw materials that contain more pH-stable anthocyanins for improved performance. Non anthocyanin sources of pink such as beetroot work well if heat treatment is limited
- Appropriate dosage levels assist color retention through HTST or UHT processing
- Light exposure and storage temperature will significantly impact product shelf life
- Opaque packaging will improve color retention